Ripe Near Me is a small startup with an ambitious goal.
In winter of 2012 they noticed so many citrus trees scattered about the suburbs full of fruit that nobody was eating. And yet local stores were selling plenty of them - even some that were imported! It just didn't make sense. So, an idea was born: Why not have a site that allows foodies to connect with growers? Wouldn't it be cool if we could get all our fresh food from the local neighbourhood?... And so we started on our quest.
Our Mission & Goals
Wow, we've had a really hard time condensing our goals and ambitions into one compact mission statement so we're going to give you the bullet points instead!
RipeNear.Me aims to:
- Dramatically increase the quantity of urban and sustainably grown foods. We believe that backyards, frontyards, balconies, roofs, vacant blocks and other empty urban spaces are perfectly good places to grow food, so why not utilize them?
- Provide an platform for growers to establish a profitable ecosystem or micro farm
- Give passionate foodies better access to the best local, home grown, and in season food
- Add variety to the foods we grow and eat
- Reduce food waste
- Improve people's quality of life and health
- Encourage more sustainable living, and reduce our impact on the worlds resources
- Improve global food security, and
- Make the world a better place